[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  Bert Mittelstedt <mittelstedt at ferrari dash electronic dot de>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] generic-pc-pb27r630.img corrupt?
 Date:  Tue, 10 Feb 2004 22:28:39 +0100
Bert Mittelstedt wrote:

> I have the same Problem on 3 m0n0walls. All have flashmemory as HDD. And
> I use 2 different models(300MHz geodes disksize/p133 slotcpu).
> I think it isn't a problem of a corrupt HDD. I think it happen with to
> less memory. Mine are equipped with 32MB (-512k for vga). Because after
> you get the error-message you can read something interesting in the
> system-log
>
> ----------------------------------
> Feb 10 21:51:55
> /kernel: pid 1358 (mount_mfs), uid 0, was killed: out of swap space
>
> The older ftp update function worked with this computers.

Definitely too little RAM there. HTTP uploads via PHP take up more
memory than FTP (I think PHP reads the whole file into memory first)...
if I can't find a way to reduce the memory usage, we'll just have to
bump the minimum recommended amount of memory to 48 or even 64 MB, as
this is a sign that 32 MB are simply barely enough and even using
several memory-intensive standard m0n0wall features at once could lead
to the same problem...

- Manuel