[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Hilton Travis <Hilton at QuarkAV dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] generic-pc-pb27r630.img corrupt?
 Date:  Wed, 11 Feb 2004 07:59:56 +1000
Hi All,

On Wed, 2004-02-11 at 07:28, Manuel Kasper wrote:
> Bert Mittelstedt wrote:
>
> > I have the same Problem on 3 m0n0walls. All have flashmemory as HDD. And
> > I use 2 different models(300MHz geodes disksize/p133 slotcpu).
> > I think it isn't a problem of a corrupt HDD. I think it happen with to
> > less memory. Mine are equipped with 32MB (-512k for vga). Because after
> > you get the error-message you can read something interesting in the
> > system-log
> >
> > ----------------------------------
> > Feb 10 21:51:55
> > /kernel: pid 1358 (mount_mfs), uid 0, was killed: out of swap space
> > ----------------------------------
> >
> > The older ftp update function worked with this computers.
>
> Definitely too little RAM there. HTTP uploads via PHP take up more
> memory than FTP (I think PHP reads the whole file into memory first)...
> if I can't find a way to reduce the memory usage, we'll just have to
> bump the minimum recommended amount of memory to 48 or even 64 MB, as
> this is a sign that 32 MB are simply barely enough and even using
> several memory-intensive standard m0n0wall features at once could lead
> to the same problem...

That could well be it - I have only 32MB in this system.  Looks like
I'll have to toss another 32MB DIMM into it and retry the update.
However, the first time I had the update fail was using the ftp method.

Looking at the screen attached to the m0n0wall as it tries and fails the
update, I can see "swap_pager_getswapspace: failed".  I hadn't noticed
this before as I don't normally have a monitor attached to my m0n0wall.
This indicates that the swap is too small - indicating that the system
needs more RAM (as m0n0wall uses RAM for swap).

--

Regards,

				http://www.mamboband.org/