[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Hilton Travis <Hilton at QuarkAV dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] generic-pc-pb27r630.img corrupt?
 Date:  Wed, 11 Feb 2004 08:11:42 +1000
Hi All,

On Wed, 2004-02-11 at 07:59, Hilton Travis wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> On Wed, 2004-02-11 at 07:28, Manuel Kasper wrote:
> > Bert Mittelstedt wrote:
> >
> > > I have the same Problem on 3 m0n0walls. All have flashmemory as HDD. And
> > > I use 2 different models(300MHz geodes disksize/p133 slotcpu).
> > > I think it isn't a problem of a corrupt HDD. I think it happen with to
> > > less memory. Mine are equipped with 32MB (-512k for vga). Because after
> > > you get the error-message you can read something interesting in the
> > > system-log
> > >
> > > ----------------------------------
> > > Feb 10 21:51:55
> > > /kernel: pid 1358 (mount_mfs), uid 0, was killed: out of swap space
> > > ----------------------------------
> > >
> > > The older ftp update function worked with this computers.
> >
> > Definitely too little RAM there. HTTP uploads via PHP take up more
> > memory than FTP (I think PHP reads the whole file into memory first)...
> > if I can't find a way to reduce the memory usage, we'll just have to
> > bump the minimum recommended amount of memory to 48 or even 64 MB, as
> > this is a sign that 32 MB are simply barely enough and even using
> > several memory-intensive standard m0n0wall features at once could lead
> > to the same problem...
>
> That could well be it - I have only 32MB in this system.  Looks like
> I'll have to toss another 32MB DIMM into it and retry the update.
> However, the first time I had the update fail was using the ftp method.
>
> Looking at the screen attached to the m0n0wall as it tries and fails the
> update, I can see "swap_pager_getswapspace: failed".  I hadn't noticed
> this before as I don't normally have a monitor attached to my m0n0wall.
> This indicates that the swap is too small - indicating that the system
> needs more RAM (as m0n0wall uses RAM for swap).

I bumped my m0n0wall from 32MB to 64MB, and the firmware uploaded
perfectly using Firebird 0.7 on Linux.

Thanks everyone for your input - looks like we have a definite answer
and solution for this issue.  :)

Manuel,  yes, it definitely looks like you need to bump the minimum ram
to greater than 32MB - I know 64MB works, but not having any 16MB DIMMs
here, I couldn't try 48MB.  If someone else can try the 48MB RAM amount,
I'm sure it would be appreciated by Manuel.

--

Regards,

				http://www.mamboband.org/