[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  cisar1 at volny dot cz
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] generic-pc-pb27r630.img corrupt?
 Date:  Wed, 11 Feb 2004 12:36:46 +0100
Ladislav Cisar wrote:

> It does not sound well. I am running W98SE  on 24RAM quiet well. It seems
> m0n0wall is going to catch MS Windows Server in a RAM consumption race.
> That is quantum leap - being stand insufficient 32MB RAM compared to other
> linux based OS routers demands.

Ha-ha. m0n0wall takes a different approach than some other software
firewall packages that are installed on a hard disk - there's no swap
space to make up for the shortage of RAM, and even the entire root file
system is kept in RAM. Of course with swapping enabled there would be no
problems running it with 24 MB or even less (I don't think you're
running Win98 SE with 24 MB and no swap), but as m0n0wall is targeted at
embedded PCs that do not have hard drives, that's no option here.

- Manuel