[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  cisar1 at volny dot cz
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] generic-pc-pb27r630.img corrupt?
 Date:  Wed, 11 Feb 2004 13:20:47 +0100
Ladislav Cisar wrote:

> But let me understand one thing how is it with the -let say- cheap HW
> routers ? I know they have max about 16MB with some MBs of flash and they
> run the similar (according to me) services.

Yeah, but they usually have non-x86 CPUs (like Motorola etc.) and use
custom software (that you can't get for free) which has been written
especially for that platform. Some of them use uCLinux, which we can't
beat in terms of CPU and RAM requirements with what is essentially a
stock FreeBSD system that has only been stripped of any unnecessary
components. But IMHO it's more flexible.

- Manuel