[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Mitch \(WebCob\)" <mitch at webcob dot com>
 To:  "Christiaens Joachim" <jchristi at oce dot be>, "'P B'" <pjb141 at hotmail dot com>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Rule Confirmation / Access from outside local network
 Date:  Wed, 11 Feb 2004 06:28:22 -0800
> > How can I allow machines on my LAN interface to access the
> > DMZ server via
> > the domain name (i.e. http://www.domain.com rather than via
> > http://192.168.20.2)? I am running Gallery which can be
> > configured to use
> > EITHER the www.domain.com name OR the 192.168.20.2 IP
> > address. Using the
> > domain name I can't access Gallery from my LAN, with the IP
> > address it can't
> > be accessed from the outside world!

Hey Peter - I've seen this done with DNS. djbdns has a few features that
help in this regard if I remember right... Cisco does it automatically.
Would be a nice feature to see at some point. Basically, I think it filters
DNS requests through it, replacing IP addresses which match local NAT
mappings to allow them to be translated to the private addresses as
appropriate.

The djbdns solution would make use of alternat DNS for interior vs exterior
computers...

m/