[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Adam Nellemann <adam at nellemann dot nu>
 To:  "Chad R. Larson" <clarson at eldocomp dot com>
 Cc:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Static DHCP only?
 Date:  Wed, 11 Feb 2004 16:56:27 +0100
Hi,

Chad R. Larson wrote:

> At 07:24 PM 2/7/2004, Adam Nellemann wrote:
>
>>Also, aside from using WEP, is there any other way to increase wireless
>>security in m0n0wall? (Seeing as neither MAC filtering, Shared WEP access
>>nor SSID broadcast disable is available.)
>

> Sure.  Run PPoE over the wireless link.  Or use SSH with port
> forwarding.  Either would get you strong encryption with authentication,
> and allow you to remove WEP (and the key management headaches) altogether.

Thanks for your reply!

I might be missing the point here(?) but what I want is better
security on my WiFi link (between m0n0wall and my PCs), while still
using the internet over this link as "normal" (ie. for IMAP, SMTP,
HTTP, FTP etc.)

If this can be done the way you suggest (ie. somehow tunneling
everything through SSH and/or PPoE) I'd love to hear how I set this up
on m0n0wall (and Win2k if you know how)?

I was under the impression (but could easily be wrong?) that SSH was
used with specific types of connection, and that PPoE was mainly used
by some ISPs for their dsl/cable costumers. (My ISP use DHCP, but will
always assign the same static IP to me, probably so they can change
nameservers easily?)

Regards,

Adam.