[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Robert Staph" <rstaph at digitalimpreza dot com>
 To:  "'M0n0wall'" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] generic-pc-pb27r630.img corrupt?
 Date:  Wed, 11 Feb 2004 11:44:43 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Adam Nellemann" <adam at nellemann dot nu>
To: <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
Sent: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 11:22 AM

> IMHO getting those extra 32MB (or 128MB for that matter) for your
> firewall is super cheap, compared to going out and getting a
> commercial product for $1000+ (which is what you'd have to pay to get
> the same services and throughput as m0n0wall running on any old PC or
> a 4801/WRAP board!) And I promise you they won't have a support that
> is anywhere near that of m0n0walls (like is the case, strangely
> enough, with most OpenSource vs. commercial products!)

Right there is my feelings on it.  If its having problems with running on
32MB, big deal.  On pricewatch.com this morning 256MB of PC133 is at 38$.
Your machine take DDR? thats even cheaper.  PC2700 256MB, 28$.

It is very reasonable for a software in general to require >64MB of ram in
this age of cheap RAM.  I'm still waiting on a company to really take
advantage of this and make something the size of a CD-rom drive that can
hold 12+ 1GB sticks of DDR ram that hooks up to IDE, SCSI, or SATA for use
as a swap/tmp drive for servers. ;)

-Rob