[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Adam Nellemann <adam at nellemann dot nu>
 Cc:  'M0n0wall' <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] generic-pc-pb27r630.img corrupt?
 Date:  Wed, 11 Feb 2004 18:42:55 +0100
Hi,

John Voigt wrote:

> I'm a little concerned about bloat because my fleet of Soekris boxes with
> 32MB soldered on and no way to add more are now becoming obsolete.  Can we
> reduce the size of the ramdisks or something?  I do all my logging to a
> remote syslog anyway so /var could get a lot smaller.

I can see how that would be a valid excuse for not adding more RAM :)

Hmm, would it perhaps (I know little of *nix?) be possible to unload
any service that isn't enabled in the GUI? Such as with a number of
checkboxes (I suggest in Advanced) for disable loading of such things
as the shaper, DHCP, DNS forwarder, SNMP, IPsec, PPTP and whatever
else apropriate. The idea being that the memory footprint of m0n0wall
should decrease with each service (and related files) not having to be
moved to the RAM disk at startup!

Of course, "hardcore" *nix users can probably do this by modifying the
image, but this leaves us poor and lost Windos souls hanging in the
wind (then again we all should be used to the buy-more-RAM-to-do-this
"solution" by now, seing as it is favoured by MS for almost any problem!)

Adam.