[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Michael A. Alderete" <lists dash 2003 at alderete dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] memory req.'s (was "generic-pc-pb27...")
 Date:  Wed, 11 Feb 2004 10:38:19 -0800
>> ----------------------------------
>> Feb 10 21:51:55
>> /kernel: pid 1358 (mount_mfs), uid 0, was killed: out of swap space
>> ----------------------------------
>
>Definitely too little RAM there. HTTP uploads via PHP take up more
>memory than FTP (I think PHP reads the whole file into memory first)...
>if I can't find a way to reduce the memory usage, we'll just have to
>bump the minimum recommended amount of memory to 48 or even 64 MB, as
>this is a sign that 32 MB are simply barely enough and even using
>several memory-intensive standard m0n0wall features at once could lead
>to the same problem...

Given what m0n0wall is based on, I'm amazed it does (mostly) work on 32mb
of RAM; but since updating the firmware requires loading a relatively large
file (15% of RAM!) into memory, it's not surprising that it's pushing 32mb
systems over the edge; there's just not a lot of margin to work with.

I'm sure you have the data in the survey, but in case anecdotal use cases
are, well, useful: I run m0n0wall on a Soekris net4501 with 64mb of RAM. So
pushing the minimum requirements up a bit is no problem for me.

But the Soekris systems have no way to add more RAM, so I would be really
disappointed if m0n0wall ever overflowed that requirement. Seems like a
long ways off, but it's a slippery slope.

Cheers!

Michael

Michael A. Alderete           <mailto:lists dash 2003 at alderete dot com>
                                     <http://www.alderete.com>