[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Hilton Travis <Hilton at QuarkAV dot com>
 To:  'M0n0wall' <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] generic-pc-pb27r630.img corrupt?
 Date:  Thu, 12 Feb 2004 13:00:27 +1000
Hi John,

On Thu, 2004-02-12 at 03:29, John Voigt wrote:
> > > IMHO getting those extra 32MB (or 128MB for that matter) for your
> > > firewall is super cheap, compared to going out and getting a
> > > commercial product for $1000+ (which is what you'd have to pay to get
> > > the same services and throughput as m0n0wall running on any old PC or
> > > a 4801/WRAP board!) And I promise you they won't have a support that
> > > is anywhere near that of m0n0walls (like is the case, strangely
> > > enough, with most OpenSource vs. commercial products!)
> >
> > Right there is my feelings on it.  If its having problems with running on
> > 32MB, big deal.  On pricewatch.com this morning 256MB of PC133 is at 38$.
> > Your machine take DDR? thats even cheaper.  PC2700 256MB, 28$.
> >
> > It is very reasonable for a software in general to require >64MB of ram in
> > this age of cheap RAM.  I'm still waiting on a company to really take
> > advantage of this and make something the size of a CD-rom drive that can
> > hold 12+ 1GB sticks of DDR ram that hooks up to IDE, SCSI, or SATA for use
> > as a swap/tmp drive for servers. ;)
> >
> I'm a little concerned about bloat because my fleet of Soekris boxes with
> 32MB soldered on and no way to add more are now becoming obsolete.  Can we
> reduce the size of the ramdisks or something?  I do all my logging to a
> remote syslog anyway so /var could get a lot smaller.

More top posting to fix...  Gggrrrrrrr...

Anyway, I can see your point, and think that an easy (for us, not for
Manuel) solution would to be to release a net4511-20 image that allows
for the CF to be used for swap during firmware updates, or alternatively
that shuts down all non-essential services during firmware update, and
then reboots and re-runs them all.

If you cannot update the current CF devices due to this lack of RAM
issue, then this may require a once-off re-imaging of the next image to
the CF cards, and distributing these to your remote locations - messy,
but achievable.

Another option would be to implement this in the standard
non-CD-ROM/non-generic-pc images as a default in the new images.

--

Regards,

				http://www.mamboband.org/