[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Michael Mee" <mm2001 at pobox dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  how to add hostname to the gui header
 Date:  Wed, 11 Feb 2004 20:42:38 -0800
Now that I'm using several m0n0wall boxes on a daily basis, I've already
found myself viewing (and yes, changing) the wrong box by mistake since
there's no ready identifier on each page in the GUI.

Here's a quick hack to help avoid this. Hopefully Manuel can add this (made
appropriately beautiful) in a future release. The end result is that instead
of saying:

webGUI Configuration

at the top of each page, it now says:

webGUI Configuration - your-hostname

CAVEAT: you could break your m0n0wall install doing this, so be careful!
I'm purposefully not providing the keystroke by keystroke how to. If you're
nervous about this, don't do it!

1) go to http://yourip/exec.php and download the file
/usr/local/www/fbegin.inc
2) change the line:
      Configuration</span></td>
to:
      Configuration -
<?=htmlspecialchars($config['system']['hostname']);?></span></td>

WARNING: make sure your editor respects Unix line terminators! [though maybe
php is forgiving?]

these to exec!)
4) issue the command
cp /tmp/fbegin.inc /usr/local/www/
(though I first did: cp /usr/local/www/fbegin.inc
/usr/local/www/fbegin.safe)

Then go to your m0n0wall home page and enjoy the new tag - though you might
want to go to "General Setup" and change the hostname if you haven't
already!

Note that hostname might not be the best choice here since it has restricted
legal chars, but it meets the 80% test for me and its easier than adding a
whole new config.xml setting just for this!

cheers, michael