[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Timothy Jans" <timothy dot jans at pandora dot be>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>, <dany underscore list at natzo dot com>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] PCI WLAN card vs Ethernet WLAN AP
 Date:  Thu, 12 Feb 2004 15:27:05 +0100
>On a Soekris board (4501 in my case), is there any advantage of using a
>mini-PCI WLAN card over an external WLAN AP connected through one of the
>ethernet port ?
>
>It looks like to me that the external solution eliminates all the driver
>problems and allows to use newer technology like 802.11a or g as well as
>newer authentication methods. They're even cheaper for the 802.11b. On
>the other hand, WEP key management may be easier to manage on m0n0wall.
>
>Dany

That depends on what your priority is.

On an external w-lan AP you are limited with the features of your
manufacturer,
and the hardware of the external AP. Some cheap AP are buggy and could crash
often,
or becoming really slow when you enable WEP. Also some AP only alow 6 or 8
pc's to be connected.
But if you don't need that much pc's connected it's maybe the quickest
solution.

A mini-pci card with prism chipset is hard to find (at least cheap).
I know that the d-link dwl-520 (not the +) wireless pci cards have an
mini-pci with prism chipset inside.
But they are hard to find nowadays.
But if you like to 'tweak' a lot with this wireless stuff, I would recommend
an mini-pci card because
m0n0wall is going to have much more wireless features in the future (must
be).