[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  Adam Nellemann <adam at nellemann dot nu>
 Cc:  m0n0wall-list <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] PCI WLAN card vs Ethernet WLAN AP
 Date:  Thu, 12 Feb 2004 19:55:59 +0100
Adam Nellemann wrote:

> Would it be worth considering some kind of support in m0n0wall for
> jsut such external AP's? Seeing as there is so limited driver support
> for wireless cards?
>
> I don't know how such "support" should/would be implemented, but it
> would be nice if one could use, say an 802.11g AP, without having to
> do anything "special" with m0n0wall (like one of the previous posts in
> this thread imply you have to?)

Go ahead and do it - nothing needs to be changed in m0n0wall to support
that kind of setup. I'd even recommend it over putting a wireless card
into your m0n0wall box, even if m0n0wall supports it. You just have your
Ethernet-based optional interface, and m0n0wall doesn't care at all if
there's an access point connected to it - only you now enter SSID, WEP
key etc. on your AP instead of m0n0wall.

- Manuel