[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  Adam Nellemann <adam at nellemann dot nu>
 Cc:  m0n0wall-list <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] PCI WLAN card vs Ethernet WLAN AP
 Date:  Thu, 12 Feb 2004 20:42:20 +0100
Adam Nellemann wrote:

> Anyone know of something they can recomend? (I would need a "g" or
> "b+" type AP with good WEP support, but otherwise I'd prefer stability
> over features, seeing as m0n0wall has got everything I need.)

If you're ready to cough up the big bucks, buy Cisco. :) My trusty old
Cisco AP 350 with its several hundred days of uptime has never ever
crashed or failed to interoperate with any kind of wireless client. The
new AP 1200s are very good too. Thing is just that they're not cheap...

> Talking about alternate stuff: Anyone happen to have any experience
> with those "converters" that will allow a TP LAN to "tunnel" through a
> normal AC powerline? (I'd like to know if this works well enough to be
> another alternative, besides wireless, to drilling holes in my walls:
> Is it fast? Does it do other than point-to-point etc.)

You mean HomePlug powerline bridges? I use a pair of them for my link to
the basement where I can't run any TP cables. You can use up to 16, so
it's not limited to point-to-point. My experience with them has been
mixed. I've used them for over a year now, and while they've never
locked up or anything, the data rate varies considerably with the
electrical load. Expect data rates to be pretty bad if you connect them
to the same wall outlet as your computer(s). Don't expect to get
anywhere close to the advertised 14 Mbps - I'm getting about 4.5 Mbps in
one direction and 2.5 in the other. From time to time the connection
drops out for a few seconds, but mostly I'm still glad I have them as
there would be no way of running servers in the basement otherwise.

I even wrote a BSD program to set the encryption key on Intellon-based
bridges:

http://neon1.net/prog/plconfig.html

and if you want to have a look at the guts of a powerline bridge:

http://neon1.net/misc/powerline/bridge.html

HTH,

Manuel