[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Adam Nellemann <adam at nellemann dot nu>
 To:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall-list <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] PCI WLAN card vs Ethernet WLAN AP
 Date:  Thu, 12 Feb 2004 20:10:53 +0100
Manuel Kasper wrote:

> Go ahead and do it - nothing needs to be changed in m0n0wall to support
> that kind of setup. I'd even recommend it over putting a wireless card
> into your m0n0wall box, even if m0n0wall supports it. You just have your
> Ethernet-based optional interface, and m0n0wall doesn't care at all if
> there's an access point connected to it - only you now enter SSID, WEP
> key etc. on your AP instead of m0n0wall.
>
> - Manuel

Ok, I just got the impression that some cmd. line stuff was needed?

But that's cewl, I'll stop worrying that I can't use 802.11g with
m0n0wall then, and start looking for a good standalone AP for this
kind of setup instead :)

Anyone know of something they can recomend? (I would need a "g" or
"b+" type AP with good WEP support, but otherwise I'd prefer stability
over features, seeing as m0n0wall has got everything I need.)

Talking about alternate stuff: Anyone happen to have any experience
with those "converters" that will allow a TP LAN to "tunnel" through a
normal AC powerline? (I'd like to know if this works well enough to be
another alternative, besides wireless, to drilling holes in my walls:
Is it fast? Does it do other than point-to-point etc.)

Regards,

Adam.