[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Michael Mee" <mm2001 at pobox dot com>
 To:  "Adam Nellemann" <adam at nellemann dot nu>
 Cc:  "m0n0wall-list" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] PCI WLAN card vs Ethernet WLAN AP
 Date:  Thu, 12 Feb 2004 20:51:56 -0800
> Thanks for the info Manuel, I'll go look for a Cisco AP...

The Cisco 350 is excellent, and still somewhat expensive. Its also only
801.11b, not g.

A cheaper alternative without all the wizzbang features of the Cisco and the
management interface that tells you everything about what's going on, is
something like the 3054 CB3+ made by Senao/Engenius and available at
specialty online stores (in USA anyway) such as netgate.com for approx
US$190.

Overall I agree that running an external AP is a good solution in many
cases - just as running an external modem used to be.

I've personally started putting miniPCI wireless cards on Soekris 4501's and
am having great success with them and m0n0wall (see
http://socalfreenet.org/standardap) for a description plus lots of pics (and
more here http://socalfreenet.org/shinstall), but we're mounting these
outside on rooftops so its convenient to reduce the number of boxes
involved!  (We also have a Cisco 350 in another location, but we like having
the m0n0wall smarts like dhcp, dns caching and routing available at the
rooftop too).

cheers, michael