[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Michael Lenaghan" <michaell at dazzit dot com>
 To:  M0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Wireless access point on ethernet card
 Date:  Mon, 10 Sep 2007 17:29:57 -0400
Hello, all.

I'm running m0n0wall 1.231 on a box that has several network cards.
One card (WAN) connects to a cable modem, another (LAN) connects to
our LAN, etc.

My intention was to plug a wireless access point--a Linksys WAP54Gv3
to be precise--into one of the cards. For the time being I want to
bridge my LAN with my wireless LAN and let traffic flow freely between
them. (Later on I may want to separate the two networks; that's why
the hardware is set up the way it is.) In particular, I would like to
assign IP addresses from the DHCP server on my LAN; along with the
address will come other network config info, including my LAN's DNS
server address and WINS server address and such.

First, is it correct or incorrect to give both cards an address on the
same subnet?

Second, if it is correct will two cards on the same subnet
automatically bridge, or would I still have to specifically bridge
them?

(I'm assuming that I specifically want to bridge *somehow* in order to
get the DHCP and WINS packets moving across the cards.)

My apologies if I'm barking up the wrong tree; I'm afraid I'm still a
newbie at this and I couldn't find this info in the docs. At least,
not where I looked...

Thanks.