[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Bob Pierce <pierceb at westmancom dot com>
 To:  Monowall Support List <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Cc:  mjewell at law dot umaryland dot edu
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Wireless Point to Point Backhaul
 Date:  Wed, 26 Sep 2007 08:38:48 -0500
On Tue, 2007-09-25 at 17:49 -0400, Jewell, Michael wrote:
> What you really should want is 2 routers and a /30 subnet between
> them...  Routing traffic is normally going to be better than just
> sending everything over the link.
This link will be just for the Internet connection. This is for a
business located 4 miles out of town with no wired high speed Internet
options. They already have a m0n0wall that will still be in use as a
router at the office.

I picture something like this:
ADSL Modem (in town) <--> m0n0wall <--> Wireless Bridge <--> m0n0wall
<--> Office Network

By Wireless Bridge I mean whichever wireless equipment we choose to make
the link with.
I was initially picturing this setup without a m0n0wall in the town
location, basically hooking up the Modem to the wireless bridge.
However, I think I will need to place some sort of router there to setup
the PPPoe for the Modem. Having a router there will also allow me to
have the wireless bridge equipment on private addressing instead of
eating up public addressing for them.

> I don't know that m0n0 is the right solution for that,  you'd probably
> be better served by a Linksys AP that can take a signal booster
> instead
> of a m-pci card.
>
> You're probably going to need masts or towers and directional
> antenna's.
> Do you have a decent LOS between the 2 locations?

We have towers in place already, and there is clear LOS between them.
Since my email yesterday, I have been looking a little bit at Ubiquiti
Networks PowerStation.
http://ubnt.com/products_ps2.php4
Has anybody had any experience with these?

Bob