[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0 and VLANs problem setting up
 Date:  Wed, 26 Sep 2007 20:42:49 -0400
On 9/26/07, Joe Lagreca <joe at bignetonline dot com> wrote:
> Aaron,
>
> My hardware is a Nokia IP110.  The NIC's in it are fxp's.  According
> to the m0n0.ch
>
> http://m0n0.ch/wall/hardware.php
>
> "VLAN tagging
> The following drivers/NICs either support VLAN tagging in hardware or
> handle long frames properly. All other drivers/NICs use software
> emulation that causes a reduced MTU (which may lead to problems).
>
>     * hardware support: bge, em, gx, nge, ti, txp
>     * long frame support: dc, fxp, sis, ste, tl, tx, xl (most)"
>
> I think that means my hardware is supported and also supports long
> frames.  Is that correct?

Yeah you should be fine.  The IP110's are a bit abnormal, but I don't
think it'll be a problem.

> I think my main problem is configuring the Dell PowerConnect 2724.
> It's quite confusing.  And to compound my problems, the switch has a
> buggy HTML interface, when it times out, I have to clear my cookies to
> log back in.

First make sure you're running the latest firmware. Older firmware on
those is extremely buggy, the latest is a bit better. I don't touch
the web interface on those things, though as much because I know IOS
well and they're close to IOS as anything to do with the interface
itself. Telnet or SSH into the switch and run 'show run' and post the
part of your config for your trunk port.

-Chris