[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Joe Lagreca" <joe at BIGnetOnline dot com>
 To:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0 and VLANs problem setting up
 Date:  Wed, 26 Sep 2007 18:39:51 -0700
The very first thing I did was check the firmware version in the
switch.  It's the "latest" version.  A few years old, but the newest
one they offer.  So far I'm sorely disappointed with this switch,
however, it is only 1/3 the cost of their next step up managed
switches, which were TOTALLY out of the budget for this project.

I just got off the phone with Dell's powerconnect support group.
While my problem is not solved, I was impressed by the willingness to
help.

Since I'm quite new to VLANs, and Dell's support knows nothing about
m0n0wall's, I need to eliminate any possible problems.  I'm going to
build a new m0n0wall with an extra PC and 3c905b NICs to test this
configuration.

One question the Dell guy had, what is the m0n0walls default PVID?  Or
maybe in other words, what is the default vlan on the m0n0wall?  Could
that be the problem with the trunk port, that its not talking the same
PVID?

I'll report back after I test with a more standard m0n0 hardware
configuration.  Thanks for all the ideas!

--
Joe LaGreca
Founder & Owner, BIGnet Online