[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  John Smith <john at privateproductivity dot com>
 To:  Bob Pierce <pierceb at westmancom dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Wireless Point to Point Backhaul
 Date:  Thu, 27 Sep 2007 20:18:34 -0400
Try these:

http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html
http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/448
http://www.comnetslash.com/2007/09/26/the-5-cent-wi-fi-antenna-hack/
http://x.net.au/wifi-antenna-cable/

I've had good luck with old TV dish antennas with tin can specs from the
first URL.
I've used regular TV cable and connectors from the mast (75 ohm) and
just mounted the fitting corresponding to my wifi card at the tail (use
regular ~50ohm wifi cable and expect more improvement).

I use m0n0wall with this rig to access the distant wireless network and
run the local (wired) LAN.  I'm not going "miles" but I saw a major
improvement in signal strength.  And the price for the setup parts was
right (neighbor changing from dish to cable networks for their TV viewing).

John