[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0 and VLANs problem setting up
 Date:  Sat, 29 Sep 2007 12:08:47 -0400
On 9/29/07, Joe Lagreca <joe at bignetonline dot com> wrote:
> I finally got it working!  Thanks for all your help.
>
> I'm not sure, but I think the Nokia IP110 does not work with VLANs.  I
> built another machine and finally got it working.  I had to put a rule
> in for that interface to pass traffic.  However I would have though i
> could ping the internal vlan interface without a rule.

It should definitely work with VLAN's. The only problem may be MTU
issues if the NIC doesn't support hardware tagging or long frames.
Every NIC works with VLAN's, some can have MTU problems.

> Right now, the VLANs can all communicate between each other.  I'm
> assuming they are routing through the m0n0wall.  How can I prevent
> this, while only letting each of them get out to the internet?  What
> rule can I put in place and where?

Put in rules on each interface as appropriate to allow/deny whatever
you want. Traffic entering each interface goes through the rules on
that interface. So maybe deny what you don't want, then allow what you
do. Or allow to destination "not" whatever your internal subnets are
if you can CIDR summarize them. Just make sure you don't block DNS
resolution to m0n0wall's IP on each subnet, assuming you're using
m0n0wall.

> Also, I cannot administer the switch from any of the VLAN ports
> anymore.

You need to change the management VLAN to which ever network you want
to use to manage the switch and give it an IP on that subnet.

-Chris