[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Roland Giesler" <roland at thegreentree dot za dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  M0n0 on VMWare Server hangs with 100% CPU utilization
 Date:  Sun, 30 Sep 2007 15:05:43 +0200
I have a VMWare Server 1.0.3 build 44356 that runs on Windows XP.  I
had wanted to run some Linux distro, but the machine simply refused to
even load the kernel so I installed XP.  It's an IBM xSeries 200
server with a PIII 800 MHz processor and about 768MB of RAM.  I can
load m0n0wall on the box without any problem, but I want to also run a
spam filter on it, hence VMWare.

It's runs M0n0wall 1.231 in one VM and ESVA Spam filtering & mail
stats in another VM.

XP is on SP2.

Problem is m0n0wall hangs quite often for no apparent reason.  It
happens that it runs for a day without problems and then, when it
freezes, the CPU is at 100% with the m0n0 VM taking all available
cycles is seems.

There was an issue like this towards the end of 2006 with an earlier
version of m0n0wall, but that seems to have been resolved, yet I have
no idea what to do to fix this.

Is this a VMWare issue or is is m0n0wall?  The other VM (ESVA) runs
fine, uses much more RAM and CPU than m0n0wall, yet never freezes,
which to me seems to point at something thats wrong with m0n0wall.  On
the other hand I have other m0n0walls running the same version without
any problem, but none on a VMware VM.  I have changed the amount of
RAM allocated to the m0n0 VM, and am on 64M at this stage, but none of
it seems to make a difference.

Insights, pointers or comments please?

regards

--
Roland Giesler
Green Tree Systems cc, Stellenbosch, South Africa

Shop online at http://www.digitalplanet.co.za/?AID=497