[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Bob Young" <bob at lavamail dot net>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  1:1 NAT or M0n0 in bridge ?
 Date:  Tue, 02 Oct 2007 23:33:21 -0400
Thanks Christopher and David for your post.

Christopher, I'm not sure if I have the ability to route public IP
addresses.  I may, but I feel I still have a lot to learn about M0n0wall.
I mean, I have operated M0n0wall with public static IP address in the past.
And I can remote into my M0n0wall, just by using the public static IP
address and also by VPN.  I thought the 1:1 NATing was the same as routing a
subnet through my M0n0wall.but maybe it isn't.  I still have a lot to learn
about generic routing.lol.

From what you say, and what I have read elsewhere, I'm starting to think I
should stay away from the 1:1 NATing too.  I guess bridging my M0n0wall
completely is the best answer.  I guess I could get along without the
captive portal capability.

I apologize for taking so long to answer.   I have been bogged down with
work.

I do love this M0n0wall.although it's taking me a while to learn how to use
it.  I'd fly across the USA to take a good course on M0n0wall or  I'd pay
$100 if someone wrote a good book on the subject.

So I guess I'll go with bridging.

Thank you both,

Bob