[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  =?WINDOWS-1252?Q?Sa=9Aa_Stjepan_Bak=9Aa?= <sasa dash stjepan dot baksa at os dot t dash com dot hr>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0 and VLANs problem setting up
 Date:  Fri, 28 Sep 2007 19:47:34 +0200
----- Original Message -----
From: "Joe Lagreca" <joe at BIGnetOnline dot com>
To: "Sasa Baksa" <sasa dash stjepan dot baksa at os dot t dash com dot hr>; <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2007 5:56 PM

>Thanks for your response.  I switched from the Dell to a Netgear
>switch yesterday, because I was afraid of the Dell buggy firmware.

>Here is my setup now:

>VLANs:  1, 201, 202
>1 is a member of all ports and set to untagged.
>201 is a member of ports 1-6 untagged, and 24 tagged.  (24 is my trunk
>to the m0n0wall)
>202 is a member of ports 7-12 untagged, and 24 tagged.

This is written in manual (Netgear series 700 24 port + 2 gbic dual
personality ports):

Main Menu> Advanced> VLANS> VLAN Ports
All untagged packets entering the switch will by default be tagged with the
ID specified by the port's PVID.

This screen allows you to specify the PVID for each port. The number next to
each port indicates which PVID is set for each port.

Following industry standards, PVID 1 is the default PVID.

So you need to set PVID's for all untagged ports. 1-6 have PVID 201

and 7-12 PVID 202. Port 24 is tagged and does not need to have PVID.

This is my first manageable Netgear switch. Usually I use Alliedtelesyn.

Sasa