[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Graham Allan <allan at physics dot umn dot edu>
 To:  Alex M <radiussupport at lrcommunications dot net>
 Cc:  Monowall Support List <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Reliable AP equipment 400mW
 Date:  Fri, 5 Oct 2007 11:56:45 -0500
On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 12:42:02PM -0400, Alex M wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> A bit off topic, but I'm trying to find out what's your opinions about most
> reliable APs
>
> We had used D-Link 2000, 2100, 2200, 2210 APs
>
> We also used SENAO 400mw ECB-3220
>
> BUT what we hound out, is that they all tend to die after the year of
> operations. D-link looses its flash => firmware disappear and you can not
> reflash, and Seno burns out the atheros chip so you ending up wit out a
> working radio. Also they are both to vulnerable to temperatures. in the
> summer they barely working, in the winter they are out too, also when its
> humid they tend to die too.
>
> So I thought maybe some one know so APs 200mW MIN power, better 400mW or
> more, that are very reliable and worked for at least 2 years in the field.
> Preferably in the price range of up to $150 USD.

I'm not sure about the power output specifically, but in the realm of
enterprise-grade access points, we have been quite happy with Proxim
AP-4000 or Avaya AP-8 (same thing). These are a/b/g models, I think
there are also Proxim AP-700/Avaya AP-7 which are b/g only.

The Avaya website is way behind on firmware revisions, but they can be
flashed with the Proxim firmware.

List prices are much more than $150, but you can find them for between
$150-$200 by searching various online suppliers.

Graham