[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Wilson, Ron" <rwilson at mpr dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] reboot scripting
 Date:  Thu, 11 Oct 2007 18:08:15 -0400
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply.  It's not really my thread; I sortof hijacked it
when the first (unhelpful) reply came back, which I paraphrase: "just
use the scheduler, dummy."

I've had my PC monowall up for over a year now with no problems and I
have not had to schedule reboots.  I'm not a *nix user.  I love monowall
because the web interface shields me from having to learn *nix.  When
someone says, 'use the scheduler' in reference to monowall, I assume
they are referring to a monowall feature.  AFAIK there is no scheduler
in the web interface, which you confirmed.  Thank you.

I read the information at the link you provided and it occurs to me that
when I read "Jim Gifford posted the following shell script..." that this
refers to resources outside of the monowall, i.e. you need another
machine connected to network to run the script.  Maybe this is
immediately obvious to most people, but up until about 20 minutes ago, I
was pretty sure monowall had no shell so I thought maybe monowall had
some amazing scripting ability that I was unaware of and I was searching
the documentation to find out how I can write monowall shell scripts.

Just a friendly FYI to all you out there who reply to posts.  I'm very
grateful for the free help and amazingly fast responses.  However, keep
in mind that some of us need spoonfed a little bit more and saying,
'just run a shell script,' is talking way over us Linksys babies.  Also,
not all of us has a *nix box on their network to write shell scripts on,
nor do we keep cygwin up on our taskbar 247.

Finally, I agree with you that people should search the archives before
asking questions that have already been answered.  For those who don't
know, the archive can be found here:

http://m0n0.ch/wall/list-announce/

Kind Regards,

Ron Wilson, Senior Engineer, MPR Associates, 518.831.7546