[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  JP Vossen <jp at jpsdomain dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Fwd: Unix-like tools for Windows (was: reboot scripting)
 Date:  Fri, 12 Oct 2007 03:12:36 -0400

<snip>

> I'm not a big cygwin fan, I don't think it's currently installed on
> any of my machines, but as primarily a Windows desktop user, this is a
> must have on all my machines.

I agree, Cgywin is great, but can often be overkill. And it's sometimes
too much of a mutant for me, being not-quite-Unix but not really Windows
either.  In the right environment, with the right mindset, Cgywin is
essential (and just plain cool), but there are simpler alternatives for
many cases.

> http://getgnuwin32.sourceforge.net/
> includes everything you need to run those scripts on Windows (though
> they may need minor modifications).

Yeah, that stuff is awesome.  But see also:
http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/.  It's not as comprehensive as the
"real" GNU Win32, but all the EXEs are Windows native stand-alone.  *No*
extra DLLs or files required, grab the EXE and/or ZIP and just use them.
  (Rename date.exe to udate.exe or something so you don't collide with
the cmd.exe builtin.)  And gclip/pclip, which allow reading and writing
the clipboard from the command line are great:
	pclip | sort | uniq -c | sort -rn | gclip

See also this post I made recently on this topic, from which I just
stole most of my comments above:

[PLUG] Unix-like tools for Windows
http://lists.netisland.net/archives/plug/plug-2007-09/msg00280.html

Later,
JP
Microsoft has single-handedly nullified Moore's Law.
Innate design flaws of Windows make a personal firewall, anti-virus
and anti-malware software mandatory. The resulting software arms race
has effectively flattened Moore's Law on hardware running Windows.