[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  YvesDM <ydmlog at gmail dot com>
 To:  "Christian H Borrman" <chb at orange dot net>
 Cc:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0 1.3 as acces point
 Date:  Mon, 15 Oct 2007 10:39:55 +0200
On 10/15/07, Christian H Borrman <chb at orange dot net> wrote:

> Hi Yves,
>
> I have used m0n0wall off and on for an access point, and as an access
> point
> repeater (one atheros card as backhaul, another as service) as a more
> robust
> mesh/WDS solution. While I have had endless 'advised' access points burn
> out, the atheros cards and m0n0wall just keep running. However as a
> consensus I understand why it is 'not advised' for a few reasons:
>
> 1)  Its not the cheapest solution: You can get professional grade d-link
> devices (using atheros) and Buffalo devices that are reliable (if you get
> decent atheros based d-link or Buffalo devices they should not burn out,
> cheaper d-links etc... well I have a box of 20 d-links that burned out
> within 2 weeks but I have a pro grade d-link device that has been working
> for 3 years).

Hi Christian,

What d-link model nr are you talking about?
Actually, I don't really have good experience with d-link devices ;-)
(never tried their AP's though)

These are also cheaper than m0n0wall and the board, cards,
> pigtails, antennas, etc. that go with it.

I don't know?
Those new alix 3c1 boards are cheap and the compex wireless cards too.

I tend to use them as I got
> carried away and have a few 4801's kicking around begging to have m0n0 on
> them, and I want the dual wireless cards.
>
> 2) It is not the simplest or quickest solution; a 'proper' access point
> set-up will always be easier to set up and quicker handling traffic than
> effectively bridging two LANs on a router.

Yep, sounds logic

3) I have personally always found that, if you can avoid high power, do; you
> are much better having multiple access points and even using WDS than
> using
> one high power card, for all sorts of reasons pertaining to how clients
> and
> access points interact within 802.11, and this assumes all devices are at
> the same power to work properly.

Yes, I've always been working like that, but I'm thinking about some outdoor
ap's now....

Now you have the bug, you may want to investigate using the buffalo WHR
> access point/routers (they have a physical switch to convert between them)
> and a custom firmware like dd-wrt (just google dd-wrt), or just use the
> firmware they come with and WDS. I would also resist the feature to turn
> the
> power up; as I have a few bricks as a result.

Well, right now I've got about 300 linksys WRT54G(L) in circulation, all of
them running custom openwrt based firmware.
But like I said, I'm looking for an outdoor solution and maybe something
more professional then broadcom devices.

PS  Just wondering, how high did you set the power on the bricked WHR's? I
never go over  100mW
What type of WHR were you using, the HP version?

Let me know if you want to know any settings for set-up

Ok, if you like to send me the rough details (you can do off list if you
like), I would be gratefull.
I've ordered some hardware, so I can at least give it a try ;-)

Kind regards
Y.

Christian