[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Christian H Borrman" <chb at orange dot net>
 To:  "YvesDM" <ydmlog at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0 1.3 as acces point
 Date:  Mon, 15 Oct 2007 10:18:23 +0100
----- Original Message -----
  From: YvesDM
  To: Christian H Borrman
  Cc: m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
  Sent: Monday, October 15, 2007 9:39 AM

  On 10/15/07, Christian H Borrman <chb at orange dot net> wrote:
    Hi Yves,

    I have used m0n0wall off and on for an access point, and as an access point
    repeater (one atheros card as backhaul, another as service) as a more robust
    mesh/WDS solution. While I have had endless 'advised' access points burn
    out, the atheros cards and m0n0wall just keep running. However as a
    consensus I understand why it is 'not advised' for a few reasons:

    1)  Its not the cheapest solution: You can get professional grade d-link
    devices (using atheros) and Buffalo devices that are reliable (if you get
    decent atheros based d-link or Buffalo devices they should not burn out,
    cheaper d-links etc... well I have a box of 20 d-links that burned out
    within 2 weeks but I have a pro grade d-link device that has been working
    for 3 years).

  Hi Christian,

  What d-link model nr are you talking about?
  Actually, I don't really have good experience with d-link devices ;-)  (never tried their AP's
though)

  CB: The good device was the atheros based DWL 2100, the cheaper DWL 2000s burned out. However, the
DWL-2100 may have changed as the one I have allows multiple SSID, the website only shows this for
more expensive ones now

    These are also cheaper than m0n0wall and the board, cards,
    pigtails, antennas, etc. that go with it.

  I don't know?
  Those new alix 3c1 boards are cheap and the compex wireless cards too.

  This is true, however I have never had PC Engines Devices in stock, so have always used more
expensive Soekris, but all pigtails, etc and Cards I have got from PC Engines, you are obviously
more patient than me!

    I tend to use them as I got
    carried away and have a few 4801's kicking around begging to have m0n0 on
    them, and I want the dual wireless cards.

    2) It is not the simplest or quickest solution; a 'proper' access point
    set-up will always be easier to set up and quicker handling traffic than
    effectively bridging two LANs on a router.

  Yep, sounds logic

    3) I have personally always found that, if you can avoid high power, do; you
    are much better having multiple access points and even using WDS than using
    one high power card, for all sorts of reasons pertaining to how clients and
    access points interact within 802.11, and this assumes all devices are at
    the same power to work properly.

  Yes, I've always been working like that, but I'm thinking about some outdoor ap's now....

  I had PFsense doing this, and am now about to go back to m0n0wall, the problem with high power,
even indoors is when you get far away users and close by users, some behind walls, some not; some
users get temporarily dropped. My present philosophy on this is to go back to 802.11b at normal
rates for outdoors (using atheros a/b/g cards set to b, much better results than 802.11b cards),
with greater range and higher real throughput at a distance; it simply travels better than 400mw
802.11g in my experience. Unless you do what I did when I wired a whole street up, with one 400Mw
monowall in the middle of the street only serving monowalls in each wireless-covered building; one
400mw for backhaul, normal 802.11g cards for service. These were all with 400mw as WAN, normal power
card as LAN, no firewall, and as the high power cards were just talking to each other, they seemed
to leave other equipment in peace.

    Now you have the bug, you may want to investigate using the buffalo WHR
    access point/routers (they have a physical switch to convert between them)
    and a custom firmware like dd-wrt (just google dd-wrt), or just use the
    firmware they come with and WDS. I would also resist the feature to turn the
    power up; as I have a few bricks as a result.

  Well, right now I've got about 300 linksys WRT54G(L) in circulation, all of them running custom
openwrt based firmware.
  But like I said, I'm looking for an outdoor solution and maybe something more professional then
broadcom devices.

  PS  Just wondering, how high did you set the power on the bricked WHR's? I never go over  100mW
  What type of WHR were you using, the HP version?

  Sorry, I should have added "if you have not used already!". I had wrt54gs working for 3 years at
56 and 84, when I upped them to 110mW they lasted a week! But they had been in service for a while.
Buffalo use Texas Instruments chipset (or at least they do for WHRs I have?) for me these TI based
buffalos are better than broadcom based devices, right down to the common sense inclusion of a
heatsink (those broadcom boards get hot!)

  Let me know if you want to know any settings for set-up

  Ok, if you like to send me the rough details (you can do off list if you like), I would be
gratefull.
  I've ordered some hardware, so I can at least give it a try ;-)

  will do off-list

  Kind regards
  Y.

    Christian