[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] ethernet frame routing
 Date:  Sat, 20 Oct 2007 12:03:51 -0500
> Hi,
>
> I want to install a new firewall and someone suggested me to use
> m0n0wall with a soekris board.
>
> I have one question regarding features:

[snip]

> those two nets (x.y.z.0/28 and x.y.z.80/28) sit on the same interface
> (eth1) , and have their default route at .1 and .81

This is a bad thing.  With 2 collision domains on one flat network, you
will have a lot more collisions and other hard to diagnose issues.
Additionally, security is out the window.  You can get into the guts of
m0n0wall and make this happen, but it is not recommended.  An additioanl
nic or vlans is the best way to go.

			Lee