[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Joost van den Broek <joost at seat dash ibiza dot nl>
 To:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Add/remove 802.1q VLAN tag information on bridging
 Date:  Wed, 24 Oct 2007 16:56:03 +0200
Chris Buechler schreef:
> On 10/23/07, Joost van den Broek <joost at seat dash ibiza dot nl> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I was wondering if there is a way to add/remove 802.1q VLAN tag
>> information while being bridged?
>
> Never tried it, but I think with the way m0n0wall works, if you bridge
> a VLAN to WAN, it'll do this by default. Doing this bridges the
> tagless VLAN interface, not the parent interface which has the tag.
> Have you tried it and found otherwise?
>
> -Chris

Yes I did, and it doesn't work. But I'm able to get an address through
dhcp, but other than that nothing goes in or out. I thought the isp's
side did somehow allow my tagged dhcp request and sent an answer back.
But after testing a direct connection, with tagged packets but without
the m0n0wall as bridge between, I wasn't no longer able to get an dhcp
offer.

Now I think about this, it all makes sense. The responding side doesn't
know about my tagged packets, so they'll respond untagged. At that
point, m0n0wall couldn't possible know these packets should be tagged
again, at least not when operating at L2 (bridge) level. But I can
imagine there could be some tagging mechanism based on the packet's
(returning) destination, possibly with static routes or something?

Thanks btw for your answer :)

- Joost