[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Cisco 1760 with WIC-4ESW routing 30mbps internet connection after m0n0wall.
 Date:  Sun, 28 Oct 2007 16:19:59 -0400
On 10/28/07, Jimmy Bones (Mhottie) <mhottie at gmail dot com> wrote:
> The 1760 has 4 WIC slots in a 19" rackmount. 2 WIC/VIC and 2 VIC only
> (Voip). The 4port 10/100 4ESW says 1760 compatible in it's docs, and I've
> seen a 1721 with a 4ESW.

I'm well aware of what a 1760 is. The 4ESW specs seem to differ with
what you claim.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5855/products_data_sheet0900aecd8016bf0b.html
makes no mention of 1700.

> Can it handle the speed though? I already have numerous 1760's on hand.

Even if you can get another 10/100 card in one, the answer is "it
depends". The specifics of your environment will determine how fast of
a router you need, and a 1760 isn't oversized enough that I'd say
it'll definitely work at that load. The 1760's I have in production
tend to run around 10-20% utilization on a pegged full T1, so that
would suggest no, it probably isn't going to be adequate for 30 Mb.
But I export NetFlow, query SNMP heavily, run EIGRP, and more so mine
are loaded far more than the average base config. Plus, it's more
about pps than raw throughput, and that can vary drastically between
environments.

The only way to know for sure is to try it in your environment and see
what happens. And let us know how it works. I wouldn't be comfortable
running that in production, myself.

-Chris