[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Looking for some Idea's... perhaps someone to come onboard with a project.
 Date:  Wed, 31 Oct 2007 11:09:57 -0500
Andrew @ ATM Logic wrote:
> I am looking into setting up a system that "may" go nationwide (Canada)
> where a user can purchace a wireless card in one City, then travel to the
> next City (or Cities) and be able to use the same card/time.

We have done this.  (However, free wifi seems to be a better business
right now)

As to existing infrastructure; You can use an existing system like
Airpath, Wiboss, Boingo or similar, or start your own.  We have used
both Airpath and Wiboss, and they suck.  Expensive, difficult to work
with, and customer service that makes Best Buy look downright friendly.
  However, if you replace it you will need; A call center 24/7, and
multiple radius servers in different geographic regions and networks.
You will also need some way to bill to a credit card automatically.

As to hardware; A lot of it stinks.  WSG, Nexgate, Nomadix...  Expensive
and not half the troubleshooting features of m0n0wall.  But...  (and
this is a big but) You NEED consistent hardware enterprise wide.  I mean
same hard drives (sleep or not) and nics all around, as well as
backplane direction.  Otherwise you will put a config from a dead unit
in a new one and have issues.  Trust me.

Management;  This is little at the level we are at.  We had to write it
from scratch.  And you will need it.  Consider how you want to monitor
APs and who should reboot them, as well as other outages.

But don't let this get you down.  I know of one other company in the US
with a lot of venues using m0n0wall happily.  If you set everything up
right, it can be a very nice business.  If you want to talk more, shoot
me a private e-mail.

			Lee