[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Neil A. Hillard" <m0n0 at dana dot org dot uk>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] DNS (Off Topic) Question
 Date:  Sat, 20 Oct 2007 15:50:10 +0100
Ernie,

In message <002701c81326$4b91caf0$5601a8c0@hamcomputer>, Ernie Zingleman
<ks4q at zingleman dot com> writes
>This is an off topic question but I figured the experienced users here
>could answer it for me.
>
>I'm transitioning from one static IP to another as I switch DSL
>providers in a day or two. I've got a host name that users employ to
>connect to me.
>
>The new static IP is not working yet.  However, in preparation for the
>transition and to minimize downtime and failed connections, can I add
>my new static IP to my DNS records as a second entry?
>
>Or, am I better just having one entry at a time for my hostname?
>
>Thanks in advance, Ernie

You'd be better off not adding the additional IP address, otherwise
users will experience delays as the DNS entries will be randomised when
returned to them so approx. 50% of connections will attempt to use a
non-functioning address before trying the working one.

I'd advise lowering the TTL on the record/zone in question to a couple
of minutes.  Then when you make the change then the outage will be as
short as possible.

Once you have confirmed that your change has worked and tested OK then
raise the TTL back to a sensible value.

All of this assumes that you have that much control of your zone(s)!

HTH,

                                Neil.