[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  sai <sonicsai at gmail dot com>
 To:  "Joe Lagreca" <joe at bignetonline dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Firewall virus protection?
 Date:  Thu, 15 Nov 2007 10:08:20 +0500
It has to have a proxy for each protocol. So if you are receiving
email the Fortigate would need a POP proxy, download the whole email ,
inspect it and any attachments then send it onto the user.
It increases the complexity of the machine (so you might get bugs
bringing down your firewall), vastly increases the attack surface
(m0n0 is essentially invisible to the outside attacker in many cases)
and so reduces the security of the firewall. Sure you should inspect
traffic before it gets to the user, but it should be done on an
another machine , in this case I would want the email to be inspected
by the mail server.

Unfortunately this is what the future looks like because users like
having a machine that does everything.

sai