[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Joe Lagreca" <joe at BIGnetOnline dot com>
 To:  sai <sonicsai at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Firewall virus protection?
 Date:  Wed, 14 Nov 2007 21:22:52 -0800
I'm not so concerned with the single point of failure.

Users will now have to use a proxy to check their email?  If they
don't configure the proxy, they aren't getting any virus protection
from the firewall?

I thought it did some sort of deep packet inspection, and just
monitored all traffic that comes in and goes out.  However I was
curious exactly how it does this, especially for encrypted traffic
(not encrypted by the fortigate).  I thought it can monitor plain POP3
traffic, but what if you are using a ssl cert with your POP3 server,
then it probably wouldn't work.

Or lets say users are connecting to gmail via ssl, the fortigate
wouldn't be able to block file downloads.

Joe