[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Michael Brown <knightmb at knightmb dot dyndns dot org>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] PPTP VPN and DNS problem
 Date:  Sun, 18 Nov 2007 12:08:07 -0600
Hi,
I think you need to separate the LAN range of those two. That's
basically saying that both m0n0wall VPN and your LAN are using the same
192.168.1.XXX range in which case VPN won't even work properly. They
have to be different by at least 1. So your LAN would be 192.168.2.XXX
and the m0n0wall could be the other range. I imagine though, even if you
get that fixed, you want to be able to use the DNS server on the VPN
connection only, instead of the DNS on your local LAN. I understand that
part, it's what I do when I go to a hotel and want to surf, e-mail, etc
privately across my own company VPN in which case I even want all my DNS
queries to go through my VPN so anyone on the outside can't see my data
or even what websites I'm attempting to go to. The part depends on the
OS, you either need to make sure your VPN client is set to override the
LAN DNS or if the DNS of the VPN is never going to change, go ahead and
manually enter that into the configuration for the VPN settings instead
of having it "auto" assign them for you. Usually, the LAN DNS takes
priority over the auto-assigned one from the VPN in my experience.

Hopefully it will work out for you, I'm not familiar with all the VPN
settings of OS 10 Leopard.

Thanks,
Michael