[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Lonnie Abelbeck <lists at lonnie dot abelbeck dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall List <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Cc:  Trevor Merrill <trevor dot merrill at gmail dot com>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] PPTP VPN and DNS problem
 Date:  Sun, 18 Nov 2007 13:44:46 -0600
Trevor,

It appears your home network is 192.168.2/24 and work is 192.168.1/24 ?

You are using OS X's PPTP VPN client to access work's m0n0wall built-
in PPTP server?

1) You have an important setting on your local VPN client
Connect -> Options -> "__ Send all traffic over VPN Connection"
(Leopard might be a little different)

When checked all your IP traffic is routed through the PPTP tunnel,
and your local DNS server will be set to that of the remote
m0n0wall's DNS forwarder. (Hence the 192.168.1.1 DNS entry)

When unchecked, only your IP traffic destination that matches
192.168.1/24 will be routed through the PPTP tunnel, and your local
DNS server information is be left alone.
(launch Terminal and type "netstat -rn" for the routing details.)

2) If you check "_x_ Send all traffic over VPN Connection", and you
have the work m0n0wall
DNS forwarder -> "_x_ Enable DNS forwarder"
and valid DNS servers in
General Setup -> DNS servers [], [], []

You should be good to go, except for any other local DNS server on
the work LAN.  You should be able to fix that with
DNS forwarder -> Domain | IP | Description
priv.example.com | 192.168.1.90 | Local LAN DNS

If your domain name of the work m0n0wall matches that of your local
domain forwarder, things should work out well.  I haven't personally
used this last tip so please share if it works.

Lonnie