[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Bill Arlofski <waa dash m0n0wall at revpol dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  WRAP is out, ALIX is in... Bye bye to VLAN support?
 Date:  Wed, 21 Nov 2007 08:45:29 -0500
OK, I needed another firewall and decided that since WRAPS are EOL and
no longer available through my normal vendors that I would sell off my
WRAP and test/use the new ALIX 3port board in my office.

The install went fine, the new ALIX 3port boards are the same size/shape
as the old WRAP 3port boards and fit perfectly in the old wrap aluminum
cases. I was sure they wouldn't based on some initial information on the
ALIX boards.

Any way, just as Manuel mentioned in an Aug 2007 post, I needed to
change the "sis" ethernet interfaces in the config.xml to "vr" and
upload to the new ALIX board.  This also went well.

My small office network is slightly more complex than most others and
probably more complex than it needs to be but I _require_ VLAN support
in my m0n0wall box because of this. I have several VLANS trunked to my
m0n0wall's LAN interface where m0n0wall filters and forwards traffic as
necessary.

It seems that the VR network interfaces do NOT support VLANS under
FreeBSD, and hence m0n0wall can not support them.

What are my options?

Where is the breakdown? I mean, is it simply that VLAN support on vr
devices are not supported upstream by the FreeBSD core team? Is it that
vr devices simply can not properly support VLANS at a hardware level?

P.S. Anyone want to trade a BRAND NEW ALIX 3port for a recent WRAP
3port?   :)

sigh..

--
Bill Arlofski