[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] WRAP is out, ALIX is in... Bye bye to VLAN support?
 Date:  Thu, 22 Nov 2007 15:55:48 -0500
On Nov 22, 2007 3:53 AM, Jurgen van Vliet <jurgenvv at xs4all dot nl> wrote:
> Ok, im looking a bit pale now and im drinking coffee with a shaking hand.
>
> That the alix boards nics do not support vlan tagging on freebsd 6 is quite
> a shock for me. I just got my test alix board yesterday and didn't go the
> vlan way yet.
> Lucky I got a wrap stock still, but this will give me a lot of problems in
> the future if vlans is not possible.
>
> The big question will for me is will m0n0 go to freebsd 7 and in what
> timeframe. Considering the fact that the freebsd 6 branche is not even in
> stabile ..

FreeBSD 6.2 *is* the current stable branch. FreeBSD is accelerating
releases, and we'll see 7.0 around the end of the year, with 7.1
sometime next year. It'll probably be the stable release in about a
year.

In the mean time, I'm not sure how difficult the driver would be to
back port, but we may see it in a future 6.x release before 7.x is the
stable branch.

I'm not sure of Manuel's plans for a 7-based release.

-Chris