[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Sterling Windmill <sterling dot windmill at custdata dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  1.3b5 and filtering bridge/traffic shaper on ALIX 2.1
 Date:  Thu, 29 Nov 2007 10:00:59 -0500
I have migrated from a standalone PC running m0n0wall 1.231 to an ALIX
2.1 board (three NICs) running the newest 1.3b5

I am using m0n0wall in front of our Cisco PIX in order to utilize it's
robust traffic shaping features, and it was working great with the
previous hardware/software combination.

After manually duplicating my existing (standalone PC) configuration on
the ALIX and putting the box into production it doesn't seem to be
exhibiting the same behavior as the previous version.

I am bridging WAN and OPT1. LAN is configured with a static IP but is
not connected to anything. I have enabled filtering bridge and have
added in any to any rules on both WAN and OPT1. I have added a few
traffic shaping rules that apply to both WAN and OPT1 interfaces. I have
not touched any NAT configuration or done much else in the way of making
changes away from the defaults other than disabling the DHCP server and
giving WAN a static (public) IP address.

I am able to pass traffic through the box with no issue, our connection
to the outside world through the ALIX system remains intact. I am not,
however, seeing any firewall states other than my own access to the web
GUI through the WAN interface (I have allowed only certain IPs to access
in this way), and I am 100% sure that large numbers of connections are
being made through the box. If I disable and re-enable traffic shaping I
see a few extra entries in the firewall states that seem to be valid,
but no new entries show up afterwards.

I have also verified that traffic shaping does not seem to be working,
as I have added a small pipe and corresponding rules to shape traffic
originating from my PC behind the m0n0wall and PIX and see no change in
throughput.

Has anyone else experienced problems with 1.3b5 filtering bridge/traffic
shaper perhaps specifically on the new ALIX hardware?

Best regards,
Sterling Windmill
Custom Data Solutions, Inc.

--

	Sterling Windmill
Systems and Technology

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email contains information from the sender
that may be CONFIDENTIAL, LEGALLY PRIVILEGED, PROPRIETARY or otherwise
protected from disclosure. This email is intended for use only by the
person or entity to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended
recipient, any use, disclosure, copying, distribution, printing, or any
action taken in reliance on the contents of this email, is strictly
prohibited. If you received this email in error, please contact the
sending party by replying in an email to the sender, delete the email
from your computer system and shred any paper copies of the email you
printed.