[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Jurgen van Vliet" <jurgenvv at xs4all dot nl>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  How to interpret Atheros 5212 miniPCI TxPowMax setting ?
 Date:  Fri, 30 Nov 2007 09:01:20 +0100
Hi people,

Just a question I don't seem to be able to figure out while googling on it.
I got an m0n0 1.3b5 box running to test with an miniPCI wifi card with chip
Atheros 5212.
This card is capable of 26 dB power and to be legal here I have to put power
down to 20 dB.

When I look at the ifconfig I see an value of txpowmax 38. How does this
relate to the power in dB or mW ?
If this value 100% of the max thus 26 dB ?
If so then 26 dB is 400 mW is 38, 20 dB is 100 mW , thus 1/4th of the max
power and I have to put it on 9.5 ?

If anyone knows how to do this, or can point me in the right direction where
to find the info I would very much appreciate it ! :)

Regards,

Jurgen

Dmesg :

ath0: <Atheros 5212> mem 0xe0080000-0xe008ffff irq 9 at device 12.0 on pci0
ath0: Ethernet address: 00:02:6f:3f:3f:b3
ath0: mac 10.4 phy 6.1 radio 6.3

Ifconfig :

$ ifconfig ath0
ath0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	inet 192.168.234.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.234.255
	ether 00:02:6f:3f:3f:b3
	media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect mode 11g <hostap>
	status: associated
	ssid TESTING channel 5 bssid 00:02:6f:3f:3f:b3
	authmode WPA1+WPA2/802.11i privacy MIXED deftxkey 3 TKIP 2:128-bit
	TKIP 3:128-bit txpowmax 38 bmiss 7 protmode CTS burst dtimperiod 1
	bintval 100