[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] monowall PC image not on IDE bus
 Date:  Sat, 24 Nov 2007 14:20:54 -0500
On Nov 24, 2007 10:05 AM, Serge van Ginderachter
<serge at vanginderachter dot be> wrote:

> Hi ,
>

> I'm testing to get monowall up and running on a plain PC, with some memory card. Ideally, I'd use
a CF to IDE converter, and plug it in on the primary IDE port.

> Problem is, such converters are not easily found around here, and are relatively expensive. Easily
3x the price of some USB card reader. But putting the image on a flash card on a USB card reader,
doesn't boot, as the filesystem cannot be mounted, and the config file not  be read. I suppose the
boot code does not expect the root partition to be found behind an USB device.

> My question:
>
> - Is this to be expected with the latest stable image (1.23)?
> - Is there a workaround? Maybe in an upcoming release?

1.3 will boot from USB drives on systems that can boot from USB.
Booting from USB is only possible on newer hardware, most hardware
used with m0n0wall isn't capable.

IDE to CF adapters are cheap and easy to find, and are preferable
since they can't easily be knocked out or accidentally unplugged
unlike external USB devices. PC Engines ships worldwide and sells them
for 3 Euros plus a nominal shipping fee.
http://pcengines.ch/cf1eh.htm

-Chris