[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  YvesDM <ydmlog at gmail dot com>
 To:  "Serge van Ginderachter" <serge at vanginderachter dot be>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] monowall PC image not on IDE bus
 Date:  Sat, 24 Nov 2007 23:23:50 +0100
On Nov 24, 2007 4:05 PM, Serge van Ginderachter
<serge at vanginderachter dot be> wrote:

> Hi ,
>

> I'm testing to get monowall up and running on a plain PC, with some memory card. Ideally, I'd use
a CF to IDE converter, and plug it in on the primary IDE port.

> Problem is, such converters are not easily found around here, and are relatively expensive. Easily
3x the price of some USB card reader. But putting the image on a flash card on a USB card reader,
doesn't boot, as the filesystem cannot be mounted, and the config file not  be read. I suppose the
boot code does not expect the root partition to be found behind an USB device.

> My question:
>
> - Is this to be expected with the latest stable image (1.23)?
> - Is there a workaround? Maybe in an upcoming release?
>
> Thanks,
>

>         Serge
>
> Serge van Ginderachter          http://www.vanginderachter.be/

Serge,

As I've seen your name in Bcol I know we're from the same country ;-)
I've got quite a lot of m0n0's running, and used to use those CF adapters too.
But the (cheap, through e-bay from hong kong) CF adapters were
sometimes giving you trouble.
So nowadays, as I need stable systems,  I always go for ide flash
modules from transcend.
Like these: http://shop.transcend.nl/product/ItemDetail.asp?ItemID=TS32MDOM40V
Never had trouble with them ;-)
If you should need more information don't hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards,
Yves