[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] 1.3B5 traffic shaper enabled results in lockup
 Date:  Tue, 11 Dec 2007 17:49:56 -0500
On Dec 11, 2007 2:14 PM, Jonathan Marriott <jon at kiwiuk dot net> wrote:

> I've had a similar problem, although failed to report it because I simply
> couldn't afford to debug it.
>
> I have a 3-port WRAP board that has never crashed with 1.3b4 but was locking
> up every ten minutes with b5. I have the traffic shaper enabled, no CP and a
> pretty standard home setup of private LAN -> Cable WAN. The connection is
> usually being abused by a peer to peer application of some sort or streaming
> radio or VoIP.
>
> After downgrading back to b4 the stability returned.

These reports are kind of strange. This would seem to be an ipfw
and/or dummynet problem since it only happens with traffic shaping.
Checking the change log from b4 to b5
(http://m0n0.ch/wall/beta-1.3.php), there weren't any ipfw or dummynet
changes. There were changes to ipfilter, which I guess has the
possibility of causing ipfw problems. The FreeBSD version was probably
updated to the latest 6.2, but that should have only been a few minor
changes.

Maybe Manuel can put out an image with kernel debugging tools for
those who can replicate this, if he doesn't already know what the
issue is.

-Chris