[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Aaron Downing" <ayestyles at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  M0n0wall on a Visara MicroPC
 Date:  Wed, 12 Dec 2007 10:48:03 -0600
Greetings,

I have recently aquired a 'Visara' PC with an unknown model type. It used to
be a thin-client at O'reilly's auto parts and now I am working on making it
my BSD firewall [image: Smiley]

So far I have attempted to boot m0n0wall with my USB stick but it cannot
mount the USB device ("syncronize write failed"), so I am attempting to
write the HDD version of m0n0wall to the main disk.

I currently boot barts boot disk with network support from a USB stick. I
get DHCP and then map a drive to my pc where I keep the files listed below
that I attempt to write the image with.

I have had no luck finding a program able to write the .img file to the HDD
from DOS mode. I have attempted the following:

PhysDiskWrite (needs to run from win32)

FIRM.COM  (Error: Error code posted :-0x80 for drive c: -> Attachment failed
to respond Insert Disk in Drive c: Any key to continue...(A) to abort.)

RAWRITE.EXE (Can only write to floppies)

GHOST.EXE (is not a symantec ghost file or is not the correct span segment)

I cannot use a cdrom or floppy on the device because it has no hardware
support on the board. I cannot take the hdd out because it is a mini-hdd and
I dont have a converter.

Any suggestions? I am thinking a small bootable *nix?

Thanks for reading

-Styles