[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  "m0n0wall List" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Dual WANs & Dual m0n0walls?
 Date:  Mon, 17 Dec 2007 16:36:18 -0500
On Dec 17, 2007 12:52 PM, Michael Graves <mgraves at mstvp dot com> wrote:
> Just recently I added a cable modem service to my home office. I
> already have DSL. The cable modem was added for a specific purpose, to
> do some streaming media, that requires extra outbound bandwidth. If I
> tried to do it over my DSL I'd need to shut down all my other IP
> applications, including my phones.
>
> I know that m0n0wall does not support dual WAN.

You just answered your own question. :)

> Each service comes into
> its own m0n0wall on a Net4801. I've assigned them to different subnets.
> The main SOHO LAN being 192.168.1.x and the cable modem being
> 192.168.2.x.
>
> At this point the two don't ever meet. It seems silly to have the cable
> modem essentially unused most of the time. Is there any way that I can
> bridge the two networks so that the cable modems bandwidth can be used
> for general purposes when I don't need it specifically for the
> streaming video?
>
> I would hope that I might cross connect them in some manner to give me
> more bandwidth all the time, and failover should there be a problem
> with one provider.

You need something that can do policy routing at a minimum, and likely
support failover and load balancing as well. You can use an internal
router with these capabilities to accomplish this (pfSense and a Cisco
router are two workable options) and still use the two m0n0walls, or
replace the m0n0walls with one box that can do everything.

If only directing the traffic by static route to destination
IPs/subnets is adequate (it likely isn't), you can use only m0n0wall.

-Chris