[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Hillel Seltzer" <hseltzer at larich dot com>
 To:  "Monowall Support List" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Cc:  "Alex M" <radiussupport at lrcommunications dot net>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Ticket Printer Project
 Date:  Wed, 19 Dec 2007 12:02:33 -0500
On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 19:06:50 -0500, Alex M wrote

> to do something that is doable)
>
> Goal: To print on demand ticket w/ temp username and password

> Possible Solutions:
>
> 1) Print Ticket w/ Separate printer w/ I/O button
> 2) Tap in to POS system and use its printer
> 3) Use JetDirect to connect some printer as network printer

Remember that in a retail POS setting, you want to minimize the
number of devices and cables.  For choice #1, to really be
marketable you may have to build your own box containing the computer
board, a custom USB keyboard, and a kiosk printer like one of these:
http://www.starmicronics.com/printers/printers_pages/kiosks/kiosks.html

Otherwise, you will have your client computer device, a custom
keyboard, and the receipt printer all connected with cables.

You might get away a Linux thin client device where the power
button can be programmed to run a script when tapped intended
for you to specify the clean shutdown script.  (Holding
it down for 4 seconds will force an immediate power off).

Here is another possibility:  Look for a programmable
credit card authorization device.  Those have small screens,
buttons, networking, and a little thermal printer all built in.
You just need it to send a network request to the m0n0wall
box through the network and print its response.
Check with Hypercom at http://www.hypercom.com if they
have a device that would work for you.

---Hillel